The content of the website for Many Hands, Doing Good Art (hereafter referred to as “Many Hands, Doing Good” or “MHDG”) is provided to you for informational purposes only and should not be construed as endorsement of any therapy or therapist mentioned on the website. Visitors who use the MHDG website should seek appropriate professional advice (e.g., legal, financial, educational, clinical) regarding the particular supports and services being sought. There is no replacement for seeking the advice of an applicable professional when choosing a therapist, therapy or educational institution. The viewing of the MHDG website, in whole or in part, and the communication with official representatives of MHDG by way of the internet, e-mail, or via the website does not constitute a commitment between MHDG and any potential funding recipients (applicants).
WHAT IS PERSONAL INFORMATION?
“Personal Information” according to Canadian privacy legislation is defined broadly as any information about or that can be used to identify an individual. In general, Personal Information does not include information that would appear on a business card or information that is readily available in public records, nor does it include your corporate information, for example, business address and telephone number. It is important to note that if we do not collect Personal Information, we cannot provide funding.
MHDG is responsible under privacy legislation for the Personal Information we collect and keep for a limited amount of time. This Personal Information includes information we receive directly from applicants and other agencies, and Personal Information we receive indirectly from applicants and other agencies. We have established procedures with the objective of protecting Personal Information and have regular contact with a Privacy Officer to oversee privacy issues for our organization. Questions for our Privacy Officer can be submitted through the comment/feedback section on our website.
WHAT KIND OF INFORMATION DO WE COLLECT?
We will only collect Personal Information that is relevant for funding decisions. Examples of Personal Information we collect may include, but is not limited to:
• information needed to establish and maintain applicant status;
• information needed to confirm there are no conflicts of interest;
• personal information to and from third parties for the purpose of confirming eligibility and appropriateness for funding. Third parties may include therapists, educational institutions, dance schools, priests, social workers, teachers (others who can confirm the nature/extent of the trauma);
• information to create and maintain commercial relationships with agencies, therapists, suppliers and other third parties, including issuing invoices, administering accounts, collecting and processing payments, and to fulfilling contractual obligations;
• information to promote, distribute and sell our products and services with consistency;
• information used to distribute general MHDG information and materials to individuals on our mail and e-mail lists, including via third party mailing houses and e-mail service providers;
• information used to develop and manage our databases; information used to develop and manage our operations;
• personal information from your accountant, if applicable;
• personal information regarding your financial situation;
• information that is permitted by, and used to comply with, any legal or regulatory requirements or provisions;
We assume that an individual has consented to our reasonable collection and use of Personal Information consistent with the purposes for which the information was given, where an individual initiates contact with us or voluntarily provides us with Personal Information (e.g., completes an application form). We will also assume that individuals who apply for or accept our funds as well as other relevant individuals consent to the reasonable collection, use and disclosure of their Personal Information by our board members and When you provide us with your Personal Information, you consent to the collection, use and disclosure of that information as described in this Policy. As a registered not-for-profit organization, we are subject to numerous professional and ethical obligations and we shall not disclose Personal Information which is subject to applicant-funder privilege unless privilege is lawfully waived or we are required by law to divulge such information.
HOW WE USE YOUR INFORMATION
MHDG’s collection of Personal Information will be by fair and lawful means. Whenever appropriate, we will collect information directly from the individual applicant. We attempt to limit the amount of Personal Information we collect, use or disclose to that which is necessary and appropriate to allow for the provision of funding and to operate our organization effectively. We keep detailed records of the funds we receive and disperse within the realms of applicable regulatory requirements and professional standards.
HOW IS YOUR INFORMATION STORED?
Your Personal Information is stored in a secured, locked storage cabinet at the MHDG office. In accordance with the Canada Revenue Agency’s information and regulations, any Personal Information collected will be destroyed by the MHDG Board eight years after it is received.
TO WHOM DO WE DISCLOSE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION?
As a registered not-for-profit organization, we may from time to time need to disclose your Personal Information in order to determine appropriateness for funding.
These disclosures may include but are not limited to:
• service providers, which includes organizations and individuals who perform specific functions on our behalf including but not limited to, data processing, document management and office services (volunteers);
• an organization or individual retained by us to evaluate your financial status or to follow-up on outstanding receipts;
• a financial institution, on a confidential basis and solely in connection with the assignment of a right to receive payment, the provision of security or other financing arrangements;
• a person who, in our reasonable judgment, is providing or seeking the information as your agent, therapist or educator
• any third party, where you consent to such disclosure or where disclosure is required or permitted by law;
• experts and outside organizations we retain for the purposes of providing legal services; and
• other parties we reasonably deem appropriate or as may be required by law.
ACCURACY OF INFORMATION
To provide our applicants with the professional level of service they deserve and to maintain appropriate contact preferences, we may ask you to update your Personal Information, contact information or preferences from time to time. You can opt-out at any time from such communications. Successful applicants are encouraged to contact us if there are updates to the Personal Information we maintain in our files.
PROTECTION OF YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
In order to help protect your Personal Information, MHDG employs administrative and technological safeguards which are appropriate to the sensitivity of your Personal Information. At MHDG we have in place and operate a secure data computer system protected by industry firewall and password protection systems. In addition, when Personal Information is sent to a third party for processing, we require that all Personal Information is kept secure. Where we enter into arrangements with service providers, agents and contractors to store, handle or process Personal Information on our behalf, including data processing, document storage software support and office services, our policy is to require that such parties by contract or other means provide comparable privacy protection while the information is processed or handled by them.
HOW CAN YOU OBTAIN ACCESS TO YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION?
Upon your submitted written request, subject to certain exceptions, we will inform you of the existence, use, and disclosure of your Personal Information and will give you access to that information. Access requests should be sent to our Privacy Officer via the MHDG website.
Our website is meant to be an interactive and informative tool to keep individuals informed and also to be used as a communication tool for our potential as well as existing applicants to contact us and submit Personal Information regarding the provision of funds for extra-curricular activities. It is important to understand how your Personal Information is gathered and stored when using our online system.
On–line Communications: To provide our website users with publications, information or requested services, visitors may voluntarily submit Personal Information to us for such purposes as subscribing to or downloading publications, participating in surveys or asking questions. We use the Personal Information you provide only for the purpose for which you have provided it.
E–mail Communications: We may send e-mail communications to subscribers or other individuals in our contact database to advise of funding developments, distribute publications or to advise events. Each e-mail includes an opt-out feature and instructions on how to unsubscribe if you do not wish to receive future emails from MHDG for these purposes.
Fillable Forms: In order to provide our applicants with the highest level of convenience and service, MHDG has made a commitment to the creation of online fillable forms (“Fillable Form)” to create a user-friendly experience. Prior to the submission of our Fillable Form documents on our website, you will be requested to acknowledge a number of important provisions, including but not limited to the following:
• the information provided to MHDG will be held in strict confidence;
• upon the submission of a Fillable Form, MHDG reserves the right, in its sole and absolute discretion, not to provide funding to any individual(s) for whatever reason, including the arising of a conflict of interest, or if prescribed by the Rules of Professional Conduct;
• that the information provided by in the form is true, complete, and accurate;
• that you have completed the form for the purposes of providing preliminary information to MHDG in order to be considered for funding and for no other improper or irrelevant purpose;
• that MHDG is relying on the information provided in the Fillable Form and will not be held liable for any inaccuracies or omissions in connection with the information for which you have provided;
• that MHDG may require you to produce valid photo identification to substantiate the information provided in the form; and
• that you have fully read and understand the Fillable Form and the acknowledgement.
For further information on MHDG’s privacy practices, please submit any questions via the website or send correspondence to:
38 Abell Drive
In light of the above, I hereby pledge to behave professionally and ethically and to treat sensitive information with absolute discretion, at all times.